Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Adventure #2 Begins: NSAL

Date: May 17th
Location: Indianapolis International Airport, gate B5
Time: 9AM

I'm waiting at the Indianapolis airport for my first flight to Atlanta. I'm attempting to carry everything on with me. I don't want to deal with the possibility of lost luggage. John was wonderful and woke up early to drive me here at 7:30. No trouble with check-in, no trouble with security. I'm flying Delta for the first time in years. I'm hoping to have a more positive experience than Northwest has provided lately. I'm tired of choosing between: a) $1 for a pack of peanuts b)$3 for a "snack box" (most of which have meat in them,) c) pack a day's worth of my own food. On top of that, NW has started charging a fee for letting you take "choice" seats, like windows or aisles, before the day of the flight! It's a ridiculous ploy to get more money. I am sad because NW used to provide such good service! So today, I am hopeful that there will be a snack for free on this plane or the next. I have a window seat that was booked months ago. I did bring my own food, just in case, though.

From Atlanta I will fly to Jacksonville, the site of the NSAL (National Society of Arts and Letters) variations competition. I am being sent by the Bloomington chapter of NSAL, so all of the fees and travel arrangements have been taken care of by the nice folks at Bloomington's NSAL group. Right now I am feeling lots of different things-not too nervous, but definitely a bit excited and a tiny bit of trepidation. I want to do my best, but I have no idea what kind of a situation I am going in to. What will the class be like? (We are also judged on class work.) What will the teacher be like? How will the stage be? How will the stage floor be? Will there be lots of vegetarian protein options? What will the hotel be like? Where will the other dancers be from? (There are 12 of us.) We have a busy schedule ahead of us. Tonight and tomorrow morning are pretty laid back, but then starting at lunchtime tomorrow I am solidly booked through Saturday. I'm hoping to take advantage of tonight to do some ballet and other exercises and relax a little bit. We (JoAnn, my chapter sponsor, and I,) are hoping to get a look at the stage for spacing tomorrow morning.

I am so glad my mom will be there with me! This whole experience to come will be so much easier with her there for support.


Well, the plane should be boarding soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home